Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana: A Scheme for the Goodwill of Senior Citizens of India
“70% of senior citizens of India are from rural locations”.
Most older people are not met with proper care. About 5.2% suffer from old age ailments.
Taking this into account, the Indian Government came up with a scheme. It came into existence on 1st April 2017. This scheme was named “RASHTRIYA VAYOSHRI YOJANA.”
The RVY was introduced with two objectives:-
- Offer assisted devices
- Provide aids physically
Please note that only the BPL category older citizens will only be benefitted. If you are suffering from any disabilities or age-related infirmities, you can opt for this scheme.
The scheme is handled by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment. ALIMCO will implement the scheme. ALIMCO is a public central unit that has been helping disabled people since 1976.
Salient Features of the Scheme
- The devices will be distributed to beneficiaries free of cost.
- The scheme will provide one year of maintenance for assisted living devices as well as aids. The maintenance will be free of cost.
- State Governments will identify recipients in each district. A separate committee of Deputy Commissioner or District Collector will lead it.
- To the greatest extent, 30% of the recipients will be women in each district.
- The District Level Committee/ State Government can use the details of the BPL recipients. The details will be of recipients who are receiving Old Age Pension under any State/ UT scheme or NSAP. Please note that the details are for the identities of senior citizens who belong to the BPL category.
The eligible criteria for the scheme are as follows:
- A person’s age must be more than 60 years, i.e. Senior Citizen.
- A monthly pension or income of less than Rs.15,000.
- Belongs to the BPL category
- Suffer from age-related infirmity or ailment
Districts Covered Under the Scheme
During 2019-20, 326 total districts were selected for the application of the scheme. The districts were from all UT’s/State authorities.
The steps you will have to follow for online registration are as follows:
- Visit the ALIMCO official website.
- Click on beneficiary registration
- Tap on “Online registration on ADIP MIS portal”
Please note that you can register yourself via ALIMCO Mitra mobile app. You can get this app on Google Play Store.
- Fill in all the details required for registration
- Upload photo, ailment certificate, and Income certificate
- Enter the captcha. Read the “Terms and Conditions”. You have to agree with the terms stated.
- Next, Tap on the Continue button
Documents Required For Registration
The documents required for the proof are as follows:
- Proof of Identity (any one of them)
- Driving License
- Voter ID
- Certificate from the Medical Officer (related to the ailment)
- Hearing impairment
- Locomotor ailment
- Loss of vision
- Loss of teeth
- Proof of BPL status (any one of them)
- BPL ration card
- Receiving of Old Age Pension
- Eligible certificate from the District Authority
- Any other senior citizens’ Pension Scheme of the UT/State Government
Devices Supported Under this Scheme
The scheme supports Aids and Assisted-Living Devices. It is for eligible senior citizens. These devices are as follows:
- Hearing Aids
- Walking sticks
- Elbow crutches
- Quad pods / Tripods
- Artificial Dentures
- Crutches / Walkers
Application of the Scheme
A three-tier strategy was envisaged to implement the scheme for BPL category senior citizens. The three-tier includes the following:
1. Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment
The Ministry works as a nodal ministry for RVY. It supervises the application of the scheme. It offers financial resources and sets procedural & policy guidelines. ALIMCO provides the technical guidance for each device.
2. Application Committee at the District level
The District level Committee selects the beneficiary of the scheme. As earlier mentioned, the Deputy Collector/Commissioner of the district will manage this committee. He/She will work with the District Social Welfare Officer and the District Chief Medical Officer (CMO).
3. UT/State Nodal Department
The Social Welfare Department in each of the UT/states works as the nodal department for the RVY scheme. The Government of India has the right to re-allot the districts whenever it is necessary.
Till 25th January 2019, the scheme benefited around 36870 senior citizens across the nation. To this date, the devices are distributed throughout the camp. Senior Citizens (above 80 years of age) receive the devices at their doorstep.