What is National Prisons Information Portal?
The Government of India established a portal for citizens. The data of the prisoners will be presented in a statistical way on the portal. It will enclose all the details about the prison. With this portal, the citizen can request an online visit or redressal of grievance. You can do it through the E-MULAKAT registration.
According to the report on November 2021, there were 1254 prisons across 37 states/UT’s. In the portal, these prisons are all recorded as on-board.
What services are given to the public?
- Registration request for the visit- Through this portal, visitors can book their requests. After that, they can meet the prisoner.
- Visitors will get email or SMS alerts.
- The public will get drilled down reports nationally. They can also get statistical information about the request.
- Complaint submission- You can submit the complaint about the prison ward.
- Kara Bazaar- The Kara Bazaar portal will help the prisoners to present their products crafted in prison. These products can also be sold in various other prisons of the country.
What is the Procedure for Checking Status and Applying the Visit Request?
- Firstly the visitor will visit the National Prison Information Portal.
- While registering the visitor will submit all the details needed in the portal. It includes the visitor’s name, address, etc., along with the prison inmate name.
- The visitors will get the visiting slot through SMS/ email after the successful submission of the details.
- Through the e-visitor portal of the Ministry, the approval of the visit request will be verified. The officer of the Ministry will verify the request.
- The visiter can track the current status of the requested approval. They can do it by entering the registered number in the portal.
- If there is a change in visiting time of the visitor, then it would be shared via email or SMS.
- At the reception, the visitor pass will be allocated to the confirmed visitor. It will be given only after taking the photograph.
- The registration of the visitor can be done again if they are registered at least once in the portal.
- The visitor re-registration will be done with the previous e-visitor registration number.
- He or she can direct his old registration number, personal details or mobile number. It will be for the fast registration at the reception.
What is the Procedure for Grievance Requests?
- To submit the grievance, go to the NPIP official website and then to the grievance page.
- Suggested visitors can submit the grievance details. It will include:
b) Relation with the prisoner
c) Mobile number
d) Name of the jail where the inmate is prisoned
e) The state of the jail where the inmate is prisoned, and
d) Grievance message with prisoner name, age, and gender.
- Further, the appropriate officer will verify the grievance.
- You can track the grievance current status by placing the grievance registration number in the portal.
- You will get the grievance status either by SMS or Email.
- The visitor registration can be done again if they are registered at least once in the portal. It will be with the previous e-visitor registration number.
- You can refer to your old registration number, personal details or mobile number. It is for the fast registration at the reception.
What is the Procedure for Tracking Inmates?
- The citizens can search the relatives in the correction home easily. But the database search can be done by the persons who have the authority.
- The authorized user will be provided with the ID and password.
- After the successful login in the portal, the person authorized can see the following domains:
a) Personal details
b) Crime details
c) Details of movement
d) Search based on Fingerprint.
What are the other services provided through this portal?
Service to the Prisons:
- To control and check the prisoner’s duplicate entry to the jail.
- Record and track the prisoner’s activities of the movement.
- When the prisoner is inside the prison term you can manage their activities.
- Availability of various daily or monthly reports for the goal of the administration.
- Statistical and graphical reports for informational and monitoring purposes.
- The prisons will get various alerts like parole jump, hearing, medicine, etc. The alerts will be for the purpose of monitoring the prisoners.
Service to the Courts:
- To show reports to the court of crPC 441/ 436/ 436 “A”.
- The court is accessible for the nominal roll.
- The court get alerts to skip over the due date of interim bail/ parole.
- The portal will serve courts to show on-demand other information of the prisoner online.
Service to other Agencies of Investigation and to the Police:
- To search for complete information about the inmates across the nation.
- The investigation agencies and police can mark alerts in the various events via SMS or email.
- The portal provides the report list and statistical format of the term of the prisoner. It can be accessed in individual jails.