All About Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA)
In India approx 32% of the population lives in urban areas. These areas are identified as “Inclusive engines for economic growth”. But in these areas, there are numerous people who live in poverty. They dont have access to the fundamental essentials of their life. As per Tradingeconomics.com, 32.5% of the population live in slum areas.
The graph of people with extreme poverty has started declining. Still, they are in a struggle face to meet their basic needs. In a way to ensure that they get basic civic amenities, the Ministry was established. It was named as “Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs” (MoHUA).
How MoHUA was established?
- In May 1952, the Ministry of Works, Housing and Supply came into force. Later the Ministry of Supply was separated from the Ministry of Works and Housing.
- In 1985, the urban issues were growing rapidly. To give importance to those issues, the Government named the ministry. It was called the Ministry of Urban Development.
- In 1995, The ministry was called the Ministry of Urban Affairs & Employment. It had two departments namely-
- Department of Urban Employment & Poverty Alleviation
- Department of Urban Employment
- In 1999, these two departments were again merged. The ministry was called “The Ministry of Urban Development”. After few months, the ministry was again divided.
- In 2000, the Ministry was again united.
- In 2004, again the ministry was partitioned into two ministries. It was
- Ministry of Urban Employment &Poverty Alleviation
- Ministry of Urban Development
- In 2006, the Ministry was renamed “The Ministry of Housing & Urban Poverty Alleviation”.
- In 2017, the cabinet secretariat passed an official notice in which the ministry was united. It was named as “Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs”.
Who is MoHUA and what is the aim of this Ministry?
The Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs is the top authority. It comes under the GOI. In the country, this authority performs four tasks. They all are accomplished at the national level. These tasks are-
- Formation of policies
- Support and sponsor programs
- Coordinate various activities. While these activities are of-
- State Governments
- Nodal authorities &
- Central Ministries.
- Monitor programs related to housing and urban affairs issues.
The aim of MoHUPA is to:
- Develop slum-free India.
- Redevelop, upgrade, reallocate all slum dwellers.
- Provide basic civic facilities.
- Provide access to affordable housing for all. It will be via “Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojna Scheme.”
- Reduce the poverty rate. It will be with the application of different services & programs.
What is the business allocated to MoHUA?
According to Allocation of Business Rules, 1961, the GOI has allocated business to MoHUA. These are as follows:
- To allocate housing. It will be in Vigyan Bhawan.
- Land or building properties of union
- Operations of Horticulture
- Central Public Work Institution
- All Government buildings and civil work
- Management of Government estates
- Printing and stationery for GOI along with official publication.
- Plan and coordinate Urban Transport System
- Issues of conveyance deeds and lease in regard to Government build properties
- Fix minimum and maximum cost of fairs. It is in regard to the rail-based urban transport system.
- Plannings for the country and town development
- Development of Government colonies
- Development of four areas. They are-
- Water supply
- Sanitation and
- Drainage of urban areas.
- Form programs and policies for the house.
- Settlement of humans by including UNC & ICTA.
- Schemes for Urban Development
- Develop and implement special programs. It will be for UPA & UE.
UPA- Urban Poverty Alleviation.
UE- Urban Employment.
What are the various programs under MoHUA?
There are various schemes programs under the MoHUA. They are as follows:
- Smart cities
- Atma Nirbar Bharat
- Urban Transport
- Atal Mission. It is for Revival and Urban Conversion.
- Lumpsum Provision Scheme. It is for the benefit of NER.
Note: The NER stands for Named-entity recognization.
- Schemes for Satellite Towns
- Refinance Scheme. It is for construction finance in regard to Affordable housing.
- Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojna
- Rajiv Awas Yojna
- Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana. It is also called National Urban Livelihood Mission.
- Affordable Housing Partnership
- Rajiv Rinn Yojana
- Interest Subsidy Scheme for Housing the Urban poor
- Urban Housing Fund Refinance Scheme
- Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission
- Credit Risk Guarantee Fund
Modern cities have performed an important role in the evolution of the economy. It has its own impact on all aspects of life. In rural areas, it has influenced lots of families. Their way of living has also changed. But in some parts of urban areas, urban poverty is still visible. In order to enhance, upgrade and grow their lifestyle the MoHUA is established by GOI. This Ministry performs many functions to develop slum-free India.