Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayi Yojana: A Scheme for water management and conservation
“Water is the driving force of all nature.” -Leonardo da Vinci
India is blessed with 4% of the water resources. But still, we are facing water stress. We suffer the most disastrous water crisis in history. As per the sources, over 600 million people are water-deprived. This has greatly affected the irrigation sector too.
The Indian Government introduced Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayi Yojana, (PMKSY) in 2015. This scheme was introduced for water management and conservation for irrigation. This scheme will help the farmers to expand their area of cultivation with assured irrigation. It will also help in reducing water wastage in the country.
This scheme has been formed by the collaboration of ongoing schemes like:-
- On-Farm Water Management
- Integrated Watershed Management Programme
- River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation
- Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Programme
PMKSY focuses on generating sources by harnessing rainwater. It will take place at micro levels via “Jal Sinchan” and “Jal Sanchay”. Micro irrigation will also incentivize via subsidies. This will make sure ‘Per Drop More Crop’.
The net agriculture area of India is 200.8 million hectares. Out of which only 95.8 million hectares, i.e. 48% of the area cover irrigation. The leftover 52% area isn’t used for irrigation because of the scarcity of water.
Farmers in India majorly depend on rainfall for irrigation. While less rainfall leads to lower yields. Shri Narendra Modi, our Prime Minister, launched this scheme to sort all the problems of farmers.
- Cultivable range expansion and improve the access to irrigation facilities under assured areas of irrigation (Har Khet Ko Pani).
- Enhance efficiency usage of On-Farm water and lessen water wastage.
- Use the right technologies for source integration, efficiency, and distribution of water.
- Promote and enhance the precision-irrigation implementation
- Enhance and promote water-saving technologies
- Enhance aquifers refiling and give protection to supportable water rehearses.
- Use different methods to integrate rainfed areas development. This includes:-
- Groundwater regeneration
- Watershed approach for the conservation of soil and water
- Runoff arrest
- Give Natural Resource management activities and livelihood.
- Promote activities (extensions) for field workers and farmers such as:-
- Crop alignment
- Water Management
- Water Harvesting
- Draw noteworthy investment (private) precisely in the framework of the irrigation system. It will improve productivity and production. This will increase farm income further.
1. State Level
- The state department of agriculture implements PMKSY at the state level. Under it, the ministries further decide the components.
- IDWG recommends the projects and activities and the state-level sanctioning committee(SLSC) sanctions the projects.
2. National Level
- At the national level, there are two main committees that take decisions. It includes the National Executive Committee (NEC) and the National Steering Committee(NSC) which looks after the usage of the program.
- The fulfillment and checking of the project are Under the ministry of water resources ABIP & CADWM at the execution level. This committee manages resources, inter-official adjustment, and monitoring of the projects.
- In addition, this scheme includes a general performance test and addresses executive issues.
The Honorable Prime Minister is the chairman. The Union Ministers & concerned Ministries are the main members.
3. District level
- The projects of PMKSY at the district level are managed by the district-level
implementation committee. Whereas DLIC is chaired by Zila Parishad or the district collector of DRDA.
1. AIBP- by using the capability of MoWR, RD & GR,
To assist ongoing Major and Medium Irrigation National Projects.
2. PMKSY (Har Khet ko Pani) via MoWR, RD &GR
- Development of new water sources.
- Usage of Minor Irrigation on both flooring and groundwater.
- Restore, renovate, and repair the water bodies. In the meantime, generate the process of water sources.
- To construct a rainwater harvesting system (Jal Sanchay).
- To create a distribution area from the origin to the farm.
- To get the on-hand allowance which farmers no longer utilize to their fullest ability.
- Diversion of water from the source to different places. Thus, plenty of water will reach scarred areas.
- Elevating irrigation from water bodies/ rivers.
- Creation and advanced normal water storage buildings like Jal Mandir (Gujarat); Khatri, Kuhl (H.P.), and many more.
3. PMKSY (Watershed) via MoRD
- Capacity building, drift area treatment, entry point activities, drainage line treatment.
- Nursery raising, afforestation & amp; Horticulture management.
- Ensure pasture development & amp; Livelihood matters for the asset-less human beings.
- Manufacturing devices for marginal and small farmers.
- Effective rainfall management such as field bending, and contour bunding/ trenching.
- Right management of leveling land, staggered trenching, mulching, etc.
Construction of water harvesting systems like checking dams, tanks, nala bunds, farm ponds, etc.
4. PMKSY(Per drop greater crop) with MoA
- To manage programme plans for State/District Irrigation.
- To monitor and approve the action plans yearly.
- Promote error-free devices for water applications.
- Promote the movement of water effectively.
- Reducing input fees under civil construction of the projects.
- Construction of structures for micro-irrigation.
- To build dug and tube wells that are not supported by PMKSY (WR).
- Water lifting equipment like diesel/ electric/ image voltaic pump sets.
- Maximize crop alignment for the use of on-hand water.
- Capacity building and schooling for encouraging all the possible use of water grants via technology.
- Agronomic and administration practices inclusive of local irrigation.
- Implementing innovative and improved methods like pipe and container outlet systems.
PMKSY scheme is a strong contribution from the Government of India. It has helped and opened doors for many farmers.