What is Bharat Interface for Money (BHIM)?
On 8th November 2016, PM Narendra Modi announced demonetization across the country. It withdrew all the circulation of 500 and 1000 rupee notes. This act was justified as an attempt to restrict black money, tax evasion and corruption from the economy.
The surprise demonetization pushed millions of people onto the nation’s digital economic framework. However, the Government started working to minimize the cash dependency. They pushed India for the cashless future. Opening a bank account and adopting direct bank transfer was part of the whole idea to increase transparency.
Things were also taking place in terms of technology in India. The National Payment of Corporation launched a Unified Payment Interface called BHIM. It was launched in December 2016, to push India for making cashless transactions.
What is BHIM?
BHIM is an initiative that allows you to make faster, reliable, and secure cashless payments via mobile phone. It is on the basis of a unified Payment Interface to provide the facility of e-payment directly via bank.
What are the benefits of the BHIM app?
The benefits of the BHIM app are as follows-
- Make secure, simple and fast transactions.
- No additional charges are applied on the transaction.
- Download the app free of cost from the Google Play Store or App Store.
- Non- UPI banks can receive payments.
- The app is available 24/7.
What are the features of the BHIM app?
The features of the BHIM app are as follows-
1. Transfer money instantly
The BHIM app enables you to make instant transfers on a real-time basis. You can transfer and accept money anytime and anywhere. In addition, there is no heavy process to fill account details or add beneficiaries.
2. Reminders to make regular payment
On the BHIM app, you can avail the facility to schedule payment reminders easily.
3. No bank holidays
The best feature of the BHIM app is it enables you to send or receive money on bank holidays. You can utilize the app functions even on weekends.
4. Share your bills
The BHIM app allows you to split bills with your colleagues, friends, family members, etc.
What are the conditions applied for using BHIM?
The conditions applied for using BHIM are-
- A movable device with internet connection.
- Bank account in any Indian bank.
- The mobile number linked with the individual’s bank account.
- Your bank account should have a UPI activated support by the bank.
What are the services offered by BHIM?
The Bharat Interface for Money offers the following services-
- Send or request money via Virtual Payment Address on a real-time basis.
- Send or request money to a UPI registered mobile number.
- Send money via account holder’s name, account number, and IFSC code.
- Transfer money to Aadhaar number.
What is the step by step procedure to use the BHIM app?
- Install the BHIM app from the Google Play Store or App Store.
- Authenticate your mobile number that is connected with the bank account.
- Obtain a SMS on your mobile number. This will let you further access the app.
- Create or set a four or six digit secret code called UPI-PIN. This pin will enable you to perform all the transactions. If an UPI-PIN is already set on other UPI apps, then you can use that pin on BHIM too.
Note: It is highly recommended that you don’t share your UPI-PIN with any person. The app doesn’t store your UPI-PIN information.
5. Create your payment address which helps an identifier to make transactions via UPI enabled app. You can also send, receive or pay by using QRcode.
How can you enroll yourself as a merchant on the UPI app?
You can follow the below mentioned steps-
- Download an app called BHIM Aadhaar Baroda Pay. The app is accessible on the Google Play Store and App Store.
- Fill out the application form in regard to the merchant on UPI.
- Upload the sign for merchant agreement.
- The bank will accomplish the on-boarding registration process agreement. It will be via its zones/ regions.
How can you use the BHIM app to make payment in the store?
The QR code function enables you to make specific transactions through the BHIM app. You can also set up QR code to get any payment from BHIM app users. The person who is making payment to you will scan the QR code to make payment.
If you are sending the money then you will not require to put a payable amount. It is because the amount details will be encoded & included in the QR code.
How to transfer and request money from BHIM?
TO TRANSFER MONEY-
- Get on to the “Send Money” icon.
- Choose or enter the Aadhaar Number, Payment address, or mobile number of the receiver.
- Enter the particular amount.
- The default bank account will be selected to send money.
- Enter the set UPI-PIN.
- Finally, the money is transferred.
TO REQUEST MONEY-
- On the BHIM app, click on the “request money” icon.
- Enter or choose the receiver’s payment address, Aadhaar number, or mobile number..
- Put the amount you wish to request from the receiver.
- Click on the send button.
Note: This transaction will not be successful until and unless the receiver will make payment to you.
BHIM is an app with a complete payment solution. It enables you to make numerous transactions on an instant basis. The app is accessible on all days in a year. With an easy registration process, the app is accessible in 13 languages.