What is the Artistes Pension Scheme and Welfare Fund?
The culture & art of any nation represents oneness!!
Indian culture & heritage demonstrate and shape faith, value & ambitions. Since the Bronze Age Civilization, Indian artistes have involved & mesmerized the entire globe. Be it Mughal or Harappan civilization relics, our artistes have shaped the culture & its heritage.
The campaign of “Incredible India” has attained a new level. It is due to the emphasis given to India’s cultural heritage.
To support the artist, the Ministry of Culture introduced a scheme. It is called “The Artistes Pension Scheme and Welfare Fund”.
There are two types of provisions under this scheme. They are-
- National Artistes Pension fund, and
- National Artistes Medical Aid fund.
National Artistes Pension fund
The NAPF covers two type of cases that are:
1. Time to time amendment in the existing recipient.
- These recipients take artistes’ pensions on a monthly basis. It is under the 1961 scheme.
- The 1961 scheme is “Financial Assistance to Persons famous in Letter, Arts and other such walks of life who may be in poor state”.
2. New applicants of artistes, writers, etc, are liable for financial help per month. It is under the existing scheme guidelines.
What is the eligible criteria for Artisan Pension?
The eligible criteria for Artisan Pension are-
- The person must contribute in art and letters, etc.
- The traditional scholars will be qualified for the scheme. These scholars have worked in their respective field, but their work was not published.
- The income of the scheme holder should be of Rs. 4,000/ per month. Their yearly income should be of Rs 48,000/-.
- Recipient age should be above 60 years.
- The applicant should not have their name in other Government schemes.
- The artisans are suggested to register themselves in this scheme. From 2035, the Ministry of Culture will not accept new applications.
What is the method to submit the application for Artistes Pension?
The eligible artisan can give their application for the scheme. They can submit applications to their respective UT or State Government. Their application must be in a prescribed format. The below-specified documents should be fixed with the application. If not done properly, it can get dismissed.
What are the details necessary for an Artisan Pension application?
The details required for the application are:
- A passport size photograph attached on the application form. It must be clear and not prior than six months.
- Address proof
- Date of Birth proof
- Self attested photocopy of Aadhaar Card. This card is issued by the UIDAI.
- Income certificate (original copy)
- Applicants’ contribution document in the field of culture, art, etc (xerox)
- Any recognition, awards, etc., given to the applicant by
- State Government
- Central Government
- Any famous literary or art society, or
- Union territory.
- Original bank approval letter. It should be signed & verified by the bank manager.
- Letter of recommendation collected from the cultural department. This department should be in concern to the UT or State Government.
Note: You will need to submit one proof of address from the following documents:
- Aadhaar Card
- Driving license
- Electricity bill
- Gas connection bill
- Domicile certificate
- Voter ID card
- Bank account statement
- Property registration document
- Passport of the spouse
- Landline bill
- Broadband bill
- Post office passbook
You will need to submit one Date of Birth proof from the below-mentioned documents:
- Birth certificate
- Aadhaar card
- Voter ID card
- Driving license
- Pan card
- 10th class certificate
- Domicile certificate
- Marriage certificate
What is the nature of financial assistance under Artistes Pension scheme?
The Government of India proposes financial help on a monthly basis. This allowance is of Rs 4,000/-. In the scheme the artistes are suggested under center-state quota. Further, the center shares the artistes list to concerned State or UT Government.
The concerned UT or State Government will pay Rs. 500/- per recipient. Whereas, the central Government will pay Rs. 3500/- per recipient. The monthly allowance will not exceed to Rs4,000/- per recipient (in any case).
How applicants get selected for an Artistes Pension award?
The steps for selecting application for an Artistes Pension award are-
- Complete application in all respects.
- Physical confirmation of application.
- It will be done by the Expert Committee.
- Acceptance of application.
- It will be as per the scheme guidelines.
- Suggestion of candidate name for Artistes Pension award.
- Inspection of suggested artistes.
- It will be done by the Supervision division.
- Approval of the recommended applicant.
The Expert Committee includes dept. heads of various cultural institutions. These dept. heads have artists under them. The artists are from diverse culture & art fields and provide support to the dept. head.
What is the National Artistes Medical Aid Fund?
The poor artistes do not have enough finance to pay for medical treatment. They are not even able to receive better medical treatment.
The Government proposes to offer health insurance. It will be through the National Artistes Medical Aid fund. The coverage will be for existing artists and his/her spouse.
The fund will provide relief to artistes so that they can:
- Enhance access to quality medical care
- Overcome financial burden
- Have financial protection against huge expenses on medical care.
The MOC will use the fund to provide appropriate coverage of Health Insurance. It will be for an existing applicant and his/her spouse. The Ministry/ Department will implement the Health Insurance Scheme.
Note: MOC stands for Ministry of Culture. Its role is to preserve, conserve & promote heritage culture and art forms.
The limit of financial assistance are-
- Sudden physical ailment- Up to Rs.50,000.
- Medical treatment- Up to Rs.1 Lakh.
- Death of Artistes- Up to Rs.2 Lakhs.
The scheme of Pension and Medical Aid for artistes has improved the status of old and poor artistes. They have contributed in their work of art, letter, etc,. The scheme provides medical aid facility to artistes with pension. It is also given to his/her spouse.
The Central Government contributes Rs.3500/- & the State/UT Government contributes Rs. 500/- per scheme holder. Pension amount will not exceed to Rs 4000/- in any case.
The Central Government contributes Rs.3500- & the State/UT Government contributes Rs. 500/- per scheme holder. Pension amount will not exceed to Rs 4000/- in any case.
At last, the Central Government will select the holder of the scheme. The holder should not have an income more than 4,000 per month.