The Ministry of Tribal Affairs has launched a scheme for tribal welfare. It is called Vanbandhu Kalyan Yojna. The scheme aims to create an environment that fulfills the tribal basic needs. As a result, it helps in the whole development of tribal people.
As per the Press Information Bureau, the Van Bandhu Kalyan Yojna’s main objectives are as follows:
The scheme process ensures that all the goods and services with benefits must reach the target groups. They are provided by the union of resources through a proper institution mechanism. However, these benefits are under different programs of State Governments and Central Government. It protects all areas and the people of the tribal community in the nation.
What are the objectives of the scheme?
- Improve quality life in tribal areas
- Improve the quality of Education
- Sustainable and qualitative employment for tribal families
- To bridge framework gaps while focusing on quality
- To protect tribal heritage and their culture
What are the components of VKY?
- Quality and higher education
- Sustainable and qualitative employment
- Health treatment for tribal people
- To provide houses for all tribal people
- Increase economic growth in tribal areas
- To provide safe drinking water for all tribal at doorsteps
- To give facility of irrigation as per the terrain
- Support connectivity of nearby towns/cities with all-weather roads
- Accessibility of Electricity
- Strong institution mechanism. The institute can be ITDAs or ITDPs.
- Development of Urban areas
- Promote sports in Tribal areas
- Conserve and promote Tribal culture and heritage
What are the strategies?
- To strengthen organizations with-
- Enough execution
- Financial and
- Technical powers.
- These institutions are designed to provide goods and services. These institutions are Integrated Tribal Development projects (ITDPs), Tribal Welfare Departments as a nodal department, etc.
- To unite scattered activities and resources that have been undertaken by different components.
What are Minor Forest Produce Prices under Vanbandhu Kalyan Yojana?
- Generally, there are about 25-50% of forest dwellers who require food. For that, they are massively reliant on MFPs.
- The expenses of Minor Forest Produce are determined by the traders. They are not determined by the demand/supply mechanism.
- Under the scheme, the MFP includes Maximum Selling Price. It was executed in schedules V states.
- The functions of the scheme assure that there should be no forest dwellers left without getting rights.
- A web-based portal has a format that shows current MFPs’ prices across different state mandis on a real-time basis.
What are the products included under this scheme?
In the program, there are 12 products that are included. They are:
- Sal leaf
- Sal seed
- Tendu Leaves
- Mahuwa Seeds
- Wild Honey
- Gums (Gum Karaya)
The scheme has directed the Forest Rights Act as legislation of landmark. It provides the recognition of rights to already existing tribal and other standard forest dwellers.
What are the other initiatives taken by NKY?
The other initiative taken by Vanbandhu Kalyan Yojana are:
The tribals don’t have shops or shelters to sell their local produce. Therefore through Haat Bazaar, they can sell their local produce weekly. These products can be:
DEVELOPMENT OF VULNERABLE TARGET GROUPS
The ministry will help to conserve and develop vulnerable tribal groups. Thereafter, these groups will provide assistance for development in education, health, etc.
CREDIT SCHEMES FOR FRA BENEFICIARY
The Tribal Dwellers Empowerment Scheme has been established for FRA (Forward rate agreement) holders. It provides up to RS. 1 lakh loan extension without any collateral security.
MEDICAL PRACTICE AND MEDICINES FOR TRIBALS
Steps have been taken to provide tribes with medical practices and medicines via TRIs documentation.
NATIONAL TRIBAL MUSEUM
The ministry will make sure that there is a tribal museum that represents the culture and heritage of Tribes. In addition, steps will be taken to establish the National Tribal Museum in Delhi.
The conservation of forests is not a single project. It is nearly related to the well-being and development of tribal people. For many years the welfare of tribals was overlooked. But now the application of VKY has changed the tribal welfare look. It has brought complete growth in the lifestyle of tribal people.